For many of us Valentine’s Day is just another day to spend with our love partners with little knowledge of the history and reason behind this popular day. Before I get on started with the gift ideas for Valentine’s day for him and her it is important that we understand the real meaning of this day.
History of Saint Valentine’s Day
(Image Source:- http://www.hopkins.biz)
It said that Saint Valentine was working in a church in the 3rd century A.D. under the rule of Claudius II in Rome. Claudius II was an ambitious king who required vast army to fight against his enemies and would keep soldiers away from their families for a long time, so that they would not fall in love and fight better in war. Also Cladius II imposed a ban on marriages among young people. After seeing such decisions St. Valentine began officiating marriages in secret. He would marry young people without the knowledge of the King as he believed that marriage was a God’s gift. But he was eventually caught by the King and imprisoned to be prosecuted. While he was in jail young couples whom he had helped used to visit him and give him love notes and flowers through prison bars. There is also a story which says that St. Valentine fell in love with the jailer’s daughter and before he was sentenced to death, he wrote a letter to her with the message “from your Valentine”. After the priest was beheaded he was named a martyr by the church for his act of love and love of God.
Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas for Men
Now that you have some knowledge of the history, let us jump into some gifts which you can give to your partner this Valentines day. First we start with the gift ideas for boys. Most boys like gadgets, watches, books, perfumes, grooming range, games, may be a pair of shoes or a bottle of champagne.
1) Gadgets:- If your boyfriend is into gadgets like any other normal guy is then their are wide range of options for you depending upon your budget. You can buy him a camera which ranges from $70 small digicam to $400 DSLR camera. If he is into photography he will surely appreciate your gift.
2) Wrist watch:- While if your boyfriend already has one try buying him a wrist watch, which will obviously be much cheaper and will stay closer to him all the time this can range from $20 to $100 and above.
3) Romantic Novels:- Apart from the camera and wrist watch you can also try books he is a bookworm and spends most of his time reading fiction and mystery novels or some love stories there are some really nice books you can buy from amazon.com Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy, Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell, Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks, P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern are some of the top romantic novels, you can find a few more here on http://www.sheknows.com/10-best-romance-novels-to-date
4) Fragrance of love:– Perfumes are another popular gifts that can be given to your partners, on a Valentine’s Day, but don’t mess up buying a fragrance your partner does not love. It is said that pheromones can bring you closer to your partner. Buy the right perfume by going to a store and personally smelling the test samples. If you are acquainted with the scent then you may even buy it online. These vary from a price range of $5 to $50 and higher. Drakkar Noir, Montblanc Starwalker Cologne, One Million from PACO Rabanne, Boss No.6 from Hugo Boss, Hot Water from DavidOFF, Acqua Di GIO and Armani Code from Giorgio Armani are some of the popular fragrances for men.
5) Grooming Range:- Buying an electronic product like the Philips grooming range to keep him in style is a great idea for Valentine’s day. Electronic shaver, Hair gel, and many more similar products can be be found on the web. An article from buzzfeed.com gives a detailed idea on what products you can look for.
6) Games:- When it comes to video games, mobile games, every man becomes a child and wishes to indulge in gaming. If you have a good budget buy a PS4, Xbox One or any action video game for him which he might like. You can even buy some paid games from the App Store for him. Sites like IGN.com and Gamespot.com will be helpful in decision making.
7) Shoes or Champaign:- If you are aware of his shoe size then go for it. Don’t buy a shoe online you might end up buying a wrong size or an uncomfortable pair rather go to a store and select the right brand and size, the style and color is upto you. A bottle of Champaign can be another gift which you can buy for him to celebrate this day together.
Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas for Women
Girls love shopping and there is a wide range of gift ideas which you can surprise your girlfriend with on a Valentine’s Day. Though most of the websites I came across had really stupid ideas and filled with affiliate links. Anyways you should not be stuck on those sites. Here are a few things which I feel will help you get her attention, dresses, chocolate box with a heart shape, flowers with your personal message, purse, perfumes, jewellery(diamond rings, necklace), gold, gadgets(mobile covers, headphones), romantic novels, makeup kit, a pet, wrist watch, the list is nearly endless. Let us review each gift one by one.
1) Dresses:- Buying a cloth can be a great option but can also bounce back on you, if you do not get the idea, the size, or color correct, you are doomed. So for those guys who wish to buy some dress for her it is best that you either go to a store or double check the product before ordering it online. Buy something romantic not a dress she would start wearing daily, just stay away from formals.
2) Chocolate Box or Candies:- Sweets are the girl’s best friends just like diamonds if your girlfriend has a sweet tooth just go online and buy her a heart shaped chocolate or candy box, make sure it is gift wrapped and you get your personal message on it. Jacques Torres Chocolate, Lake Champlain Chocolates Grand Valentine Box, Ferrero Rocher gift box, are some of the popular options. Do not buy from websites which can not deliver in your area and do not provide same day delivery option. If you do not trust online websites run to your local candy shop, get it gift wrapped and put a custom love message on the box.
3) Flowers:- Buying a bouquet is a must for everyone who is celebrating the Valentine’s Day. Red roses are the formost choice followed by Tulip, Iris, Gerbera Daisy, Chrysanthemum, Orchid, Lily, Sunflowers, and Ranunculus. Flower business blooms on this day, according to a recent study done by the National Retail Federation, more than 224 million roses are grown for Valentine’s Day and people spend about $1.9 billion on it. Don’t just leave the flowers alone add a small note to it, because flowers will wither away, but that note will stay forever.
4) Purse, wallet and accessories:- If you want to buy a purse or some accessory like earrings for her, you should know her likes and dislikes well. If she wants a big leather bag or a small one, her favourite colour etc. These can be best brought online, because you can easily find many deals. Though the delivery will be slow and not on the same day, because of the holiday season. Price of a purse starts from $30.
5) Perfumes:- Buying her a sensual smelling perfume can also bring you closer to your partner, Miss Dior Cherie Perfume by Christian Dior for Women, Viva La Juicy Perfume by Juicy Couture, Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Perfume by D&G, Vera Wang Princess Perfume by Vera Wang for Women are some of the popular choices. Though you can goto a local store and buy a product by testing it yourself.
6) Diamonds, Gold, Jewellery:- Diamonds are said to be women’s best friend if your pocket allows you to buy one you should try it for sure. First decide your budget then decide whether you want to buy gold, diamond, or silver. Apart from that will it be a necklace, earring or a bangle. Platinum rings are in fashion these days and are affordable as well check the online prices before buying it from a local market.
Apart from the above gift ideas for women and men your single call or a surprise message will always keep the relationship strong. Remember it is not the gifts which holds the relationship it is you and your feelings for her/him. Enjoy the Valentine’s day and leave a comment below if you have any gift idea.